Friday, June 17, 2011

The Ravine, Streets

The Ravine



Streets

After a morning of painting at the girls house, I walked back to the guest house for lunch with Andrew. When we approached the gate to the guest house and a couple of boys, maybe around 8 or 9 years old, asked me for water (that's been really common this week with many Haitian street kids). I have a green Gatorade squirt bottle so I usually can squirt some water in kids mouths, but this time I didn't have any water. I told him I was out of water and then he asked for food, but I didn't have any. I gave him a hug and then he whimpered that his mom doesn't feed him. I've always seen video of beggars or people who were hungry on the streets, but witnessing it in person was more heartbreaking than I had expected.
About an hour later I was up on the 2nd story balcony of the guest house looking out to the street and I saw the two boys again. This time the neighbor across the road was out in the street and beating one of the boys. The boys ran off and the neighbor began throwing rocks at them. That was the last I saw of them for the day. I pray that God will make Himself known to those boys and the neighbor.  David Weller

No comments:

Post a Comment